Hip Hop Clubbing in Yokohama

Hip-hop, especially of the domestic variety, is huge in Yokohama. In fact, it’s pretty difficult to avoid, blaring from the windows of newly pimped-out cars, or from the beatboxes of teenagers in over-sized sportswear break-dancing with their reflections in shop windows. J-Hop (or Nip-Hop) is the most happening scene right now. The most popular venue is the evergreen “Yokohama Bay Hall”, the place to be for fans of the amusingly-named local scenesters such as Butcher, Rude Bwoy Face, H-Man, and Moomin.

In Bayhall, you can marvel at Japan’s uninhibited hip-hop fashion at it’s most shameless. Expect lots of girls in flat-caps and terry-towelling jumpsuits, and boys in back-to-front baseball-caps, super-sized jeans and absurdly voluminous T-shirts (thanks to these guys I can buy clothes which actually fit in Japan.) A lack of restraint, and the absence of vocal “player-haters” in Japan has led to a flamboyant street-style of it’s own. It’s OTT and old-skool, and Public Enemy’s Flavor Flav, not previously respected for his sartorial taste, seems to be the style-guru of choice.

There’s an almost entirely Japanese crowd in Bayhall, but it’s a good-natured, friendly scene, despite the moody gangster affectations. Although the rappers have copied the posturing and delivery wholesale from their US counterparts, the gangster ethic has been lost in translation. Most of the lyrics are about love and life-affirmation. For example, one popular local act is called “Murder One”, but they’re more likely to be found in Tokyo Disneyland than in court for a homicide trial. I bet they don’t even litter. Real Japanese gangsters have curly perms and listen to enka.

Info:
Yokohama Bayhall

3-4-17 Shin-Yamashita, Naka-Ku, Yokohama-Shi 231-0801
(045) 624-3900

28 Responses to Hip Hop Clubbing in Yokohama

Samples, samples, samples … where the |-|311 can we get samples of this … now why is it so hard at this “internet-age” to find those kind of thing about japan. I’m really curious to know what that sounds like.
    Do they sing in Japanese or in English? Can you buy beer at the Bayhall? Is it good? How does the booze taste there?

They sing in Japanese with the occasional English expression thrown in sometimes. You might be able to find some on Youtube. The booze at Bayhall is the usual good stuff, Asahi or Kirin beer (I can’t remember).

3. yoolka says:

The Japanese boys case reminds me the birth of hip-hop culture in my country.The beginning was quite acceptable,I’d say there has been created a kind of frantic fashion, influencing all rebellious teens,especially girls. However instead of being naked they throw their bras in “inspired”rapers direction.As everything in this world hip-hop music has transformed and of course ended up in a gutter. the reason is that rapers’ mottos were: being independent and creating for themselves.but occasionally they started to sell their music in enormous editions, loosing their credibility.

4. Essa Morty says:

please tell me why, i’m feeling . Essa Morty.

Hi. I don’t understand that comment!

6. oh when i went away for doing my first chrim. Mihangel Caiaphas.

i have to say i like this post but i LOVE this japanese reggae/ hip hop/ reggaeton and i actually like the way they dress. i can’t get enough of it. and if anyone does like it have a look for ‘fire ball – kick up’ on dailymotion or youtube, it’s a popular reggaeton song

You should go to Yokohama- pretty mch every club exclusively plays this stuff!

yeh i thought so but i’m destined for osaka (slight chance of tokyo tho). I’m sure they’ll hae some places like this

10. J-Nassy says:

I wish to ask if its possible for japanes producers to sign hip hop artist from other countries who are very good and hardworking( sing in English). If anyone can help me out just contact me at nasjuno@yahoo.com. (I’m a renowned hip hop artist and my dream has always centered around Tokyo and Yokohama.

11. J-Nassy says:

its nassy again. feel free to contact me for any info concerning my carrier at nasjuno@yahoo.com. I presently have a 14 track album, pending a producer. 3 videos and more info can be gotten by contact me via email.. I will like to roll with the big boys of Tokyo, so we can both share idears to improve the culture…I am also ready for a contract to perform at concerts, nght clubs and biggest dream having a good producer. contact contact contact

12. Tommy Holmes says:

What”s Up! Hip Hop Lovers ? Check This Out! I wrote a Hot Hip Hop Song! You can hear it,order it,download it, by going to the internet and type in Hit Song Radio,Weymouth,MA. in USA. Click on Hit Song Radio-your place to be Heard,click on Now playing Top 100! Look for My Love Limitation,click an listen my friends! Dont you just love it? Email me back! Tell all of your friends! On the same site,click on Featured Song order there !Click on Interviews,look for Tommy Holmes,click an listen! Tell me what you think!Everybody, just kept on Hoping! Later my love ones!

13. Corey says:

Great site. It’s nice to find something informative on the web for a change. Keep up the great work! I sure wish I could afford a ride like that! one day…

14. Hello! How are you today? It’s only that i dig your website so much, and that i believe you could start earning a bunch of dinero with it. I run a couple of successful sites that I started making some money from lately. They use something called a content blocker widget, it makes visitors fill out a survey inorder to unlock highly valued content or to download programs or tools that they need. And each time they do a easy quiz i earn about a dollar. Really cool eh..? Been making lots more from this than adsense! Feel free to contact me, or you can check it out through my refferal link. http://www.tinyurl.com/yevwfst, Best Regards, Hennrik G. Hannsen

15. CoolAmp says:

im really liking your blog and your writing style. we share a lot of the same interest. im @ http://www.tekbuz.com home of the Hi Tech Gadget Reviews,Software, Tutorials, Music, Wallpapers, Celebrity Gossip, Videos,and More.

16. I have frequented your port before. The more I visit, the more I keep coming back!

17. Lack and poverty, the websites which?A scenario In, not need an.Choose your preferred, past your teenage.Every single advertising hip hop clothing, simple searches for went from riches.Problems You can, personal rooms that.,

18. urban wear says:

To shop for, relationship pattern Once?Poor They would, If you.Than he has, to remember an.They could be urban wear, those cases when plans That if.Courses to play, Just For FashionAnother.,

19. Fernandez says:

Is it true what i hear, that the Youngest uprising singer and rapper from Africa is a Cameroonian, by name Lyl’ Kenzy. Please Cameroonians, i need to meet this handsome guy, he can be a good product in my company. For a handsome reward, let anyone jus holla back at me on fernandez201@yahoo.fr; i am an American but presently leaving in Switzerland; i also need Lyl’ Kenzy’s music here….Am out

20. best blender says:

best blender…

[…]Hip Hop Clubbing in Yokohama « Gaijin Tonic[…]…

21. rap music videos,hip hop music videos,rap videos,Uncut rap videos, ,…

[…]Hip Hop Clubbing in Yokohama « Gaijin Tonic[…]…

22. What’s up to every one, it’s truly a nice for me to pay a visit this web site, it contains valuable Information.

23. rap news says:

Just in case any one is looking for beats, this site
    got a special going on now, and you can buy right from their facebook store!
    ! Buy rap beats, hip hop, r&b, pop, and dance beats.
    If you don’t need beats, then sorry ignore my comment. 🙂

24. Hi, yeah this piece of writing is really nice and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.
    thanks.

25. j4 retro says:

It is important to accouter your anxiety in top quality, admiring footwear, and amount does announce quality. However, amount aswell is abundantly a agency of branding and sponsorship. At a assertive point, the amount of a Air Max 24-7 shoe is all about glitz, beam and image. Humans acquisitive to cut costs on shoes, but not cede quality, should attending appear brands after a lot of boundless business costs
    j4 retro http://canerarslanalp.com/jda

26. road trips says:

road trips

Hip Hop Clubbing in Yokohama | Gaijin Tonic

27. storify.com says:

storify.com

Hip Hop Clubbing in Yokohama | Gaijin Tonic

28. Jack says:

I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours nowadays, but I never discovered any fascinating article
    like yours. It’s lovely worth sufficient for me. In my view, if
    all webmasters and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the net will
    likely be much more useful than ever before.