My Maid Cafe Moment

I think I’m turning into a Japanese Otaku (which is a “geek”, in English.) As if the fact that I write a blog isn’t evidence enough, I now have conclusive proof: The other day I went to a maid cafe. The maid cafe is the preferred hang-out of Japanese nerds, a safe haven where they can chat about comics, watch cartoons on a big screen, and get served by cute girls in French maid outfits (which, frankly, was the only reason I went there. Funnily enough, the night I went was the day of the Tanabata festival, a kind of star festival, so the girls were wearing traditional summer Yukata instead.)

The maid cafe I went to was a joint in Yokohama, called “Honey Honey.”
Unsurprisingly, due to the major nerd-factor there were were no female customers in the place.
The maids were very chatty, though, so I took advantage of the situation to practice my Japanese on them.
I ordered an omelet, and one of the maids drew the face of AnpanMan on it with ketchup (AnpanMan is a cartoon character with a bread roll for a head.)
Initially, I wasn’t entirely seduced by the whole maid cafe thing. However, after drinking several beers, I was sold.
Here’s their homepage.

10 Responses to My Maid Cafe Moment

Aside from the sausage fest, it sounds good to me…

my friends friends friends friend owns a little one of these in osaka that i was taken to. got a picture with them and they drew some stuff on the picture like cat ears and whiskers and stuff. i didnt have a clue what was going on but my friends were saying just stand here do that ect… and then the camera came out and i thought ‘ahh’

maid costume dont really do it for me, frankly i’d rather see the yukatas instead

4. Jeff says:

Sotetsu Rosen? That’s not exactly out of the way… They go mainstream since I left?

Yeah, I should have taken some pics!
    Jeff- they’re still pretty obscure. This was down a side street, above a 7/11.

6. […] Maid cafes aren’t only found in Akihabara, you know. Yokohama has it’s very own maid cafe, “Honey Honey,” a haven for geeks, where TV screens show cartoons, and nubile young ladies in French maid costumes draw pictures on your omelets with squeezy ketchup bottles. Don’t worry, they also sell beer. You can read more about it here. […]

7. Deborah says:

And I liked, will be looking at your site.

8. sandrar says:

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. 🙂 Cheers! Sandra. R.