My Japanese Doppelganger

My path seems to be intertwined with a Japanese TV star, Hidehiko Ishizuka (otherwise known as “Ish Chan,”) a tubby funster who eats a lot, smiles so broadly that his eyes disappear, and wears only overalls in the winter.
Everywhere I go, this guy has been there before me. When I visit a restaurant or a bar, there’s a signed photo of him on the wall, posing with the staff. When I go to the over-sized shoe shop, there’s a signed picture of him, grinning down at me. When I go to the big and tall store, (the only place I can buy clothes in Japan due to my height,) Ish-Chan is the model in their brochures!

I suppose we have a lot in common. We’re both tiny-eyed, inanely-grinning gluttons, with an appreciation for food and drink. He’s my doppelganger!
The other day, a friend of mine spotted him strolling down the street, near where we live.
He’s closing in! One day I’ll wake up, look in the mirror, and it won’t be me. Ish-Chan will be staring back at me. Creepy!

6 Responses to My Japanese Doppelganger

Should you ever meet, you must refrain from touching Ish-Chan San, if you do, it will likely be as if matter and anti-matter collide and cancel out the space-time continuum 🙂

Yeah, haha! Like something out of the Twilight Zone.

3. ramblingsofaculturefreak says:

Ok… the day you decide to put on overalls…well you should start worrying!

It’s only a matter of time…

5. pudgym says:

That’s his name? OK.
    He is featured in all the advertisements for the clothing store which sells the plus-sized suits, on the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line subway trains.

6. bold gloves says:

Just deesire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity inn
    your post is smply nic and i can assume youu are an expert
    on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoking post.
    Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.