The Virgin Sunset

Often the coolest Japanese bars and restaurants are in the most obscure locations. Such is the case with the groovily-named Virgin Sunset, a loosely Hawaiian-themed joint down an obscure side-street in Yamato City, Kanagawa. You can find it by looking out for the flaming torches outside.

It’s one of those uniquely Japanese places that mixes up various international elements and puts them through the old Japanese filter. Here you can sit among fish tanks and palm trees, and eat Italian pizza and Jamaican jerk chicken, whilst watching surfing videos and listening to 70s disco and funk hits being spun by a DJ in the corner, and drinking pina coladas served by waitresses in pretty Hawaiian dresses. A charmingly mental mish-mash of madness. Also, for some ungodly reason, the door-handles in the toilet are shaped like penises, but I try not to think too much about that.
I once stumbled into Virgin Sunset on Halloween night, and the additional Mexican Wrestlers and Wonder Woman costumes were enough to make my head spin.

If all this character wasn’t great enough, Virgin Sunset has a half price beer and pizzas every day from five to seven, including weekends. Try finding a deal like that in Tokyo!

After taking advantage of the happy hour, I tend to head to a cheap and cheerful games center a few doors up from the Virgin Sunset, called “The Big Bang”, which has darts, pool, batting cages and go-kart racing. An ideal place to continue the shenanigans (although the staff are reluctant to let you try the go-kart racing while totally shit-faced.)

Virgin Sunset Restaurant and Bar
TEL: 046-264-3766

14 Responses to The Virgin Sunset

1. tornadoes28 says:

Italian Pizza AND Jamaican Jerk Chicken? What a mix. Hey, no pictures of the waitresses in the pretty hawaiian dresses?

Sadly I forget to get any snaps of the waitresses. There might be some on their website!

3. No shit-faced racing, eh? Must not get a lot of cops for customers.

4. Hentai says:

Bahaha, i love how they mispelled “meet” on the menu. What is with this ” Sliced raw chicken breast ” I’ve never heard of chicken sushi before, must be a first!!!

Cute japanese girls in hawaiian outfits must be mouth watering!

5. Erica says:

Huh… i was *shocked* to see Virgin Sunset on your blog! I know the owner. She works with me on the Naval Base. (We go there for all our “farewell” parties.) Seriously cool that you mention it. I’ll let her know. 🙂 I left my email if you want to hit me up (or her). 🙂

Thanks Erica!
    Yeah, I love Virgin Sunset. The pizza is great!
    So why does the owner lady need 2 jobs?

7. Jeff says:

Didn’t I go there with you before I left? I don’t remember the dick toilets tho… Or any costumes…

The dick-door-handles have always been there- you were probably too drunk to notice! The costumes were just for Halloween (unfortunately.)

9. shu says:

Ahh… the fun and good times at Virgin Sunset and Big Bang..
    Only place i have ever broken someones nose while playing table tennis

10. John.Jnr says:

Nice site – Here’s wishing you and yours a very happy and prosperous new year !

11. Very good post. I’ve found your blog via Yahoo and I’m really happy about the information you provide in your articles. Btw your blogs layout is really messed up on the Chrome browser. Would be great if you could fix that. Anyhow keep up the great work!

12. if your going to show case your english accent learn how to do it first.it´s like shary bobbins from? the simpsons.like your vids though.

13. Robin Escue says:

Witch Exit do i need to take out of Yamato station to get there?

14. walking shoes The Virgin Sunset | Gaijin Tonic