The New Craze – Chocolate Booze!

A trip to my local convenience store today revealed not one but two new chocolate-based alcoholic drinks, so I felt duty-bound to try them both and write about them here.

First is Sapporo’s new chocolate-flavoured beer, “Chocolat Brewery Bitter”. Each mouthful tasted nice for a second, then repulsive. Chocolate and beer, while yummy on their own, inherently don’t go together, and the taste was much like guzzling lager while munching on a Mars bar at the same time, which nobody ever does for a reason- it tastes grim. Now, if someone made curry beer or peanut beer…

After that I tried Asahi’s “Chocolat Cocktail” which isn’t really my kind of drink, but will probably be a success with chocolate-lovers and booze-curious teenagers, because it tastes exactly like chocolate milkshake, without a hint of alcohol to be detected (although the can claims it’s 4% proof.) The sweet-toothed will love Chocolat Cocktail, whereas Chocolat Brewery Bitter will taste horrific to beer-drinkers and chocolate-eaters alike.
But, once again, top marks for trying, Japan!

15 Responses to The New Craze – Chocolate Booze!

1. Tornadoes28 says:

It sounds positively disgusting.

2. freedomwv says:

I have seen this stuff around as of late. I was wondering how it taste. Thanks for the review. I am going to have to try it out for myself. Hell, might make a good follow-up blog.

I don’t recommend it, but let me know what you think!

4. DH says:

Sapporo introduced this last year, but it was available on the internet store only. They have two kinds this year, bitter and sweet. Most ‘chocolate’ taste found in darker beers is achieved through using darker roasted malts, but this one actually uses Chocolate from Royce, a famous Chocolate company in Hokkaido. It’s not terrible, but doesn’t satisfy either. If you like darker beers, stay away.

Sapporo has done some good stuff lately though!

You ever venture into any Microbreweries or craft beer bars up your way?

Check out our reviews on http://www.jibeer.com !

5. Kyle Atrus says:

I have to disagree with you on ALL chocolate-based beer being disgusting; You should try a Young’s Double Chocolate Stout. It’s delicious.

6. Heidi says:

I was in Hokkaido this past week and happened across both the beer and the cocktail at the 7-11 and felt the need to try them after reading about them the day before. The beer is neither great nor terrible. It was worth a try and the cocktail was like watery chocolate milk. I don’t think I will be trying either again but it was fun the first time around. Next I’d like to try the fish beer.

7. I guess it could have something to do with the fact that I don’t drink, but I haven’t seen these. I guess I will have to check the next time I hit the supa.

8. […] to make more of an impression this year, why not present your loved one with some of the seasonal chocolate beer I wrote about a couple of weeks ago? Or, even better, with this heart-shaped Domino’s […]

9. Hair Care says:

I am looking for a good shampoo & conditioner for me.

10. Dude.. I am not a lot into studying, but somehow I acquired to read lots of articles in your blog. Its wonderful how interesting it’s for me to visit you very often.

11. mbt tennis shoes The New Craze – Chocolate Booze! | Gaijin Tonic

12. ヴィトン
    【特別価格】【送料無料】ROXY(ロキシー) ビーチ レジャー CRAYON パーカーラッシュガード レディース ホワイト RLY141061WHT 05:09:59:23 http://lightline.co.in/file/D2Q/83cp-index.html

13. 銀座 ファッション マップ
    ラッシュパーカー 長袖 レディス ロキシー ラッシュガード ジップフード ROXY アクアパーカー 人気 通販 ロゴプリント 紫外線対策 アジャスター付き 即納 販売 2014年モデル ドローコード付 水着 日焼け防止 05:01:46:11 http://neutrocollege.com.ar/data/L06/83cp-index.html

14. ミュウミュウ 定期入れ
    ROXY 総柄プリント ラッシュパーカー UVカット : ロキシー ラッシュガード 長袖 紫外線対策 「RLY132013」 04:08:29:48 http://grupo-bs.com.ar/files/PKV/83cp-index.html

15. 革財布 レディース
    SPEEDO スピード  レディースフィットネス水着  セパレーツ 【swim7】 02P02Aug14 【マラソン201408_送料込み】 05:10:33:34 http://e-eyaculacion-precoz.com/images/3QD/83cp-index.html