Tokyo Booze Bulletin

The latest act of one-upmanship between the Asahi and Kirin super-breweries comes from Asahi, who have decided to compete in the convenience stores with Kirin’s evil 8% chu-hai canned cocktails, by bringing out- you guessed it- 9% chu-hai. The 8% chu-hai already makes me retch as at is, so I dread to think what the new lethal concoction, names “Sparx”, tastes like. Industrial-strength paint stripper perhaps? University students are probably rejoicing, though.

Meanwhile, someone has made an fun educational video about the red lanterns that hang outside Japanese izakayas (traditional pubs). These “aka-chochin” lanterns always brighten up the streets and look groovy, even if their practical purpose- advertising what food/drink is inside- is lost on those unable to read them (either because they don’t understand kanji, or because they’ve been blinded by drinking 9% chu-hai.)

(Thanks to Japan Travel Examiner for that.)

Finally, The Fashionate Traveller has discovered a new bar, run by the hedonistic gothic-cosplay enthusiasts who run the demented Tokyo Decadence parties. Shinjuku’s new “Decadence Bar” is sure to be full of bizarrely dressed oddballs any day of the week, and is surprisingly cheap (free entry, no table charge, 500 yen per drink.)
I’m going to have to check this place out and report back on it, (although I might have to get some face paint, a wig and some piercings first.)

Here are some snaps and some info from the bar’s blog.

The bar is located in Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Kabukichou, more exactly at the Shinjuku “Christon Cafe” (Entrance on the 8th floor. The Bar is actually on the 9th floor)!!!
The atmosphere of the Bar is mysterious…and magical. You can enjoy delicious drinks & food, play some cool videogames, watch movies, dress up in costumes…Just a place to ENJOY and have FUN, for EVERYONE!

14 Responses to Tokyo Booze Bulletin

1. […] Photos   jQuery('document').ready(function($) { $('#toggle_bg').toggle(function() { $('body').addClass('noback'); }, function () { $('body').removeClass('noback'); }); }); Tokyo Booze Bulletin […]

2. Tornadoes28 says:

9%? Damn I can feel myself starting to puke already. That doesn’t sound like a very good drink.

3. freedomwv says:

I tried Sparx last night. It was well…you just have to try it.

I think I’d better try it and report back. If my stomach can take it!

5. trashtastika says:

Heya – let’s hit the bar together – I’m over from the 27th to the 6th. And thanks for the shout-out!! I’d go on the 27th itself, but there’s a club “Gothic Bar Heaven” on that night. Although…if you feel like trying out the goth clubs, let me know!! I may also hit Shibuya Crash on Sat 4th.

Yeah, sounds good! I’m up for checking it out.
    I’ve got a couple of extra days off that night, so a weeknight might be good, too.

7. ForumStaff says:

ForumStaff

8. Wow, wonderful blog structure! How long have you ever been blogging for?
    you made blogging glance easy. The entire glance
    of your web site is fantastic, as neatly as the content!

9. Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.
    I can not wait to read far more from you.
    This is actually a great website.

10. Rudement attractif, selon moi ce poste devrait intéresser
    un gars

11. Une fois de plus un poste incontestablement
    attrayant

12. Cleaning the bathtub is my MOST HATED TASK!

13. I also have it within my toilet now and had Corian in my
    own kitchen that is last. It can damage therefore I obtained it over a granite pattern using a silk finish.

It’s undoubtedly my favorite counter for large use locations.
    No gouges yet despite large consumption & cast iron cookware
    – our tips are lightly rounded. We keep an oily material beneath
    there are no apparent scratches & wash twice weekly & the drain. We have granite in Brown.